Author Topic: Automated ProFTPd Install  (Read 1756 times)

webmasteroy

Automated ProFTPd Install
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:14:34 am »
Hello,

So I have a BASH script that automates the installation of many services, including ProFTPd...  Currently it is installing ProFTPd via, debian's package manager (apt-get), so I am running a command similiar to:

Code: [Select]
apt-get -y -q install proftpd

Unfortunately, doing this causes ProFTPd to prompt me (or the end-user) to choose a method to run ProFTPd as, "from inetd, standalone, etc.."  see this image.

I ran into the same problem with MySQL, it was asking for a root password... I was lucky enough to find a thread online, that someone had solved this problem he used a couple lines in his BASH script (that I believe, set values to by-pass the prompt) the code he used is as follows...

echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections
echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password_again select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections
apt-get -y -q install mysql-server

I am wondering if there is a similiar procedure to automate or remove the prompt from the ProFTPd prompt...

Any help is greatly appreciated  :)

Kind Regards,
Aaron

Offline GeppyZ

• New user
    • View Profile
Re: Automated ProFTPd Install
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:41:02 am »
I know this answer comes a couple of years too late, however had the same issue today.

The proftpd install will ask for userinput to install it in standalone or inetd mode.
In my usecase i want to install it in standalone mode. I've used deb-utils to capture the required settings and did a manual install.
After the manual install was complete i ran the following commands to get the required settings:
debconf-get-selections | grep proftpd

This revealed the following settings:
# Run proftpd:
proftpd-basic shared/proftpd/inetd_or_standalone select standalone

So in order to install the proftpd package without user interaction you can use the following commands:
echo "proftpd-basic shared/proftpd/inetd_or_standalone select standalone" | debconf-set-selections
apt-get -y -q install proftpd